Updated: Feb 11, 2020
I don’t know about you guys, but I personally love Taco Tuesdays with a few good friends and frozen margaritas! But what’s a good margarita without a side of tacos to go with it? A hot mess.
Now you could just go to your local taqueria and spend loads of cash just for them to tell you the only vegan-friendly options they have are beans, tomatoes, and lettuce... Yawwwnn! Add a little zest & creativity to your Taco Tuesday and try out this tofu fajita recipe!
This recipe makes for the perfect entrée at your Taco Tuesday party, or for a quick dinner with enough to spare for lunch tomorrow!
Savory Tofu Fajitas
16 Oz Super Firm Tofu
1 Package of Street Taco Shells
1 Oz Fajita Seasoning
¼ Cup of Sliced Mushrooms
¼ Cup Red and Green Peppers
¼ Cup Chopped Carrots
¼ Cup Chopped Red Cabbage
2 Tbsp Sesame Oil
2 Tbsp of Fresh Cilantro
A Squeeze of Lime Juice
Shredded Vegan Cheese
Pico De Gallo
1. Place a folded paper towel on a plate and sit drained tofu on top. Apply another layer of paper towel on top and weigh down with a flat heavy object (a plate or cutting board) for at least 10 minutes. This will press excess moisture out of the tofu.
2. Cut tofu into medium sized squares and add 2 tbsp. of sesame oil to a large pan on medium heat. Add tofu when pan is hot. Season tofu with chili powder, garlic salt, and black pepper. Toss tofu occasionally for about 15 minutes while preparing veggies. (Longer cooking time will toughen tofu for a “meatier” texture)
3. Prepare veggies by roughly chopping red and green peppers, carrots, red cabbage, and slicing mushrooms into ¼” slices.
4. Add the veggies and fajita seasoning in with the tofu. Let cook while occasionally tossing until the veggies are slightly soft on the outside (about 10 minutes). Turn off heat and stir in cilantro.
5. Lay taco shells out on a baking sheet and place a spoonful of your tofu mixture onto each shell. Squeeze taco each with a few drops of lime juice and top with cilantro.
Take it a step further: Add your favorite vegan cheese and broil at 500° until cheese is melted and serve!
Serving Size: 6-8 | Prep Time: 20 min | Cook Time: 25 min
Recipe written and submitted by Plant (Bae)sed Lyric Raven.
Follow her on Instagram: @ellearebeee
Black Millennial Vegan is dedicated to sharing information, delicious recipes & natural remedies. Planet earth thanks you for opting for a plant based meal!